Thursday, April 5, 2012

Roadschooling Curriculum

I've only managed to pack 3 boxes to keep in storage, cleaned out the outgrown clothes in Divagirl's closet (4 paper bags full!), and start on the boys' closet. But I've made progress on next year's curriculum!

I must admit, I'm a planner. I get a thrill planning, organizing and researching.

Mr T will be in 9th grade, albeit an advanced Freshman. He'll be studying...
Core Subjects:
Math-Geometry and Trigonometry via khanacademy.com
Language Arts-Most of this will be correspondence through a private tutor
Science-Biology
Social Studies-US History & Biographies, US Geography, Current Events
Electives:
Foreign Language-French
Music-Acoustic Guitar
Art-Great Artists, Design Principles, Nature Study
Computers-Maya programming
Life Skills-Teen studies, finding oneself, Compassion
PE-This will be more of a daily activity including options such as circuit training, body weight exercises, hiking, swimming, biking, etc. depending on where we are and what's available to us.

Mr. S will be starting 6th grade and he'll be studying...
Core Subjects:
Math-Pre-Algebra via khanacademy.com
Language Arts-Some of this will be correspondence through a private tutor the rest will be First Language Lessons 3+, All About Spelling, and Wordly Wise 3000
Science-Biology
Social Studies-US History, US Geography, American Presidents
Electives:
Foreign Language-French
Music-Piano/Keyboard & Theory
Art-Great Artists, Design Principles, Nature Study
Computers-Keyboarding
Life Skills-Public speaking, Patience, Tolerance
PE-Same as above only he'll also be doing parkour and hip hop dancing.


Divagirl will technically be going into 1st grade however we are currently homeschooling Kindergarten and its been a lot of 2 steps forward one step back so we will be taking it slow and moving at a pace that she's comfortable with.
Core Subjects:
Math-Addition, Subtraction, Skip counting, Fractions, Time to quarter hour
Language Arts-First Language Lessons 1, All About Spelling, Cursive First, The Reading Lesson
Science-Animals, Nature, Anatomy, Sensory (similar to the biology subjects the boys will study but more hands on depending on what's around us)
Social Studies-US History, US Geography, American Presidents
Electives:
Foreign Language-French
Music-Piano/Keyboard & Theory
Art-Great Artists, Design Principles, Nature Study
Life Skills-Patience, Resourcefulness, Caring, Perseverance, Truthfulness, Organization, Helpfulness (I'm currently the leader of her Daisy Troop and we plan on staying a Daisy while we travel, which will help with the character study and life skills)
PE-Hiking, Running, Swimming, Biking, Jump Rope, Ballet...again, dependent on where we are
.

There was some discussion about the foreign language. Mr. T wanted Japanese, Mr. S wanted French and Divagirl wanted Chinese. Later Mr. T denied wanting Japanese and Divagirl refused to learn Chinese so it was agreed that we'd learn French. I took 3 years of HS French and was fluent, *ahem* 25 years ago, so it would much easier for me if we all learned something I had a prayer at teaching. Perhaps the following year I'll be brave and offer another language. I am excited though, I ordered some resources that two-thirds of them can work through. Easy French Reader and Le Petit Prince (en francais) will be introduced when they are ready to decipher written word. For Divagirl I got Let's Learn French Coloring Book because she loves to color. She also loves Fancy Nancy so she knows a few French words already.

There's an art lesson book that looks promising called Art Lab for Kids but I'd like to see it in real life first before I commit. I am an artist by education but sometimes its much nicer to just turn your brain off and follow the directions, provided its a quality lesson. And considering I'll be home schooling 3 kids at 3 levels, a little brain "off" time would be nice.

The boys will be doing some of their Language Arts lessons via a private tutor. They happen to have a grandmother who has a Masters in English and Reading and she retired from teaching Junior High kids. Perfect!

I'm also planning a bunch of reading material but I haven't finalized my lists yet, partly due to format issues. Space will be a premium and I'd rather not have all of their books in print, so I'm trying to whittle the list down to include a multitude of eBooks. Basically their literature will consist of several classics, myths and books about the US or written by American authors. I'm sure that will be another post.





No comments:

Post a Comment